Molecular Hydrogen Research
In just 13 years of molecular hydrogen research, there have been over 2,000 published scientific articles on the health benefits of various methods of hydrogen consumption. Publications on human trials using hydrogen as a therapeutic agent are approaching 100. Hydrogen therapy has been shown to benefit every organ in the mammalian body in over 170 trials.
As of our last update on molecular hydrogen research, there are 86 publications on hydrogen therapy in humans. The majority, 51, cover drinking hydrogen water. Hydrogen inhalation is a distant second with 15 publications, hydrogen-rich saline is third with 11 publications, and topical hydrogen therapy has nine publications, eight of them on hydrogen water bathing. Finally, three publications cover a product used to create hydrogen gas inside the body, two by hydrogen tablets, and one by the drug acarbose. This totals 89 administration methods because in two of the publications more than one delivery method of hydrogen therapy was used.
Of the 86 human trials, four did not find a benefit. But 82 did, which is a 95% success rate of using hydrogen therapy. Of note, none of the molecular hydrogen research trials that have found a benefit are phase III–type multicenter trials, although many are randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase I– and phase II–type trials. As such, no firm conclusions can be made on the efficacy of hydrogen therapy for any of these indications. Also of note, precise dosing and delivery method, as well as the timing of consumption, are not yet established for any indication, and the literature varies widely in this regard.
This molecular hydrogen research database compiles the ongoing human research on hydrogen therapy for researchers and consumers alike and is not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.
HUMAN RESEARCH ON HYDROGEN THERAPY
Metabolic and Mitochondrial
There are currently 12 publications on human trials for hydrogen therapy and various metabolic outcomes. Hydrogen water is the most common mode of delivery, with hydrogen water research accounting for nine of the 12 publications. Two publications discuss ways to produce molecular hydrogen within the body, and one discusses hydrogen inhalation.
1. Diabetes Type 2, hydrogen waterKajiyama et al., 2008. Supplementation of hydrogen-rich water improves lipid and glucose metabolism in patients with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance. Nutrition Research.
2. Metabolic syndrome, hydrogen waterNakao et al., 2010. Effectiveness of Hydrogen Rich Water on Antioxidant Status of Subjects with Potential Metabolic Syndrome—An Open Label Pilot Study. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition.
3. Metabolic syndrome, hydrogen waterSong et al., 2013. Hydrogen-rich water decreases serum LDL-cholesterol levels and improves HDL function in patients with potential metabolic syndrome. Journal of Lipid Research.
4. High cholesterol, hydrogen waterSong et al., 2015. Hydrogen Activates ATP-Binding Cassette Transporter A1-Dependent Efflux Ex Vivo and Improves High-Density Lipoprotein Function in Patients with Hypercholesterolemia: A Double-Blinded, Randomized, and Placebo-Controlled Trial. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
5. Mitochondrial and inflammatory myopathies, hydrogen waterIto et al., 2011. Open-label trial and randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial of hydrogen-enriched water for mitochondrial and inflammatory myopathies. Medical Gas Research.
6. Body comp/metabolism, oral H2 tabletsKorovljev et al., 2018. Molecular hydrogen affects body composition, metabolic profiles, and mitochondrial function in middle-aged overweight women. Irish Journal of Medical Science.
7. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD), hydrogen water OUR HYDROGEN TABLETSKorovljev et al., 2019. Hydrogen-Rich Water Reduces Liver Fat Accumulation and Improves Liver Enzyme Profiles in Patients With Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Trial. Clinics and Research in Hepatology and Gastroenterology.
8. Secondary analysis on NAFLD via HOMA2-insulin sensitivity, hydrogen water OUR HYDROGEN TABLETSKorovljev et al., 2019. Hydrogen-Rich Water Positively Affects HOMA2 Variables in Physically Inactive Population. Abstract from the 5th International Scientific Conference on Exercise and Quality of Life. PAGE 3
9. Vascular endothelial function, hydrogen water, high acute doseSakai et al., 2014. Consumption of Water Containing Over 3.5 Mg of Dissolved Hydrogen Could Improve Vascular Endothelial Function. Vascular Health and Risk Management.
10. Cardiometabolic risk factors in elderly, hydrogen inhalationKorovljev et al., 2018. Hydrogen Inhalation Positively Affects Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Men and Women Aged 65 Years or Older: A Preliminary Report. European Geriatric Medicine.
11. Reduction in IL-1b mRNA in peripheral blood in type 2 diabetics post meal, acarbose for internal H2 production*Tamasawa et al, 2015. Hydrogen Gas Production Is Associated With Reduced Interleukin-1β Mrna in Peripheral Blood After a Single Dose of Acarbose in Japanese Type 2 Diabetic Patients. European Journal of Pharmacology.
12. Body composition, blood lipid profiles and inflammation biomarkers in men and women with metabolic syndrome, hydrogen water OUR HYDROGEN TABLETSLeBaron TW, Singh RB, Fatima G, Kartikey K, Sharma JP, Ostojic SM, Gvozdjakova A, Kura B, Noda M, Mojto V, Niaz MA, Slezak J. The Effects of 24-Week, High-Concentration Hydrogen-Rich Water on Body Composition, Blood Lipid Profiles and Inflammation Biomarkers in Men and Women With Metabolic Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2020;13:889-896 https://doi.org/10.2147/DMSO.S240122
Athletic Performance, Recovery, and Athlete Health
There are currently 23 publications on hydrogen therapy in humans, exploring various outcomes related to athletic performance, recovery, athlete health, and recovery from sports-induced injuries. The overwhelming majority of these studies is again using hydrogen water, with 17 of the publications on consuming hydrogen water orally (although one did not find a benefit), four studies using topical hydrogen water or hydrogen gel, two studies using hydrogen inhalation, and one study using hydrogen tablets intended to produce hydrogen gas within the body. This total adds to 24, not 23, as one of the studies used a two-pronged intervention of both the oral hydrogen tablets as well as the topical hydrogen-rich gel.
1. Enhances endurances and reduces fatigue, hydrogen waterMikami et al, 2019. Drinking Hydrogen Water Enhances Endurance and Relieves Psychometric Fatigue: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Candian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology.
2. Gut flora in female athletes, hydrogen waterSha et al, 2018. Effects of the Long-Term Consumption of Hydrogen-Rich Water on the Antioxidant Activity and the Gut Flora in Female Juvenile Soccer Players From Suzhou, China. Medical Gas Research
3. Lowered submaximal heart rate in VO2 max stress test, acute use of hydrogen water OUR HYDROGEN TABLETSLeBaron et al., 2019. Acute Supplementation With Molecular Hydrogen Benefits Submaximal Exercise Indices. Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Pilot Study. Journal of Lifestyle Medicine.
4. VO2 max and work completed, hydrogen water OUR HYDROGEN TABLETSOstojic et al., 2018. 28-Days Hydrogen-Rich Water Supplementation Affects Exercise Capacity in Mid-Age Overweight Women. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
5. Protection against free radical injury in athletes after high intensity exercise, hydrogen waterSun & Sun, 2017. Selective Protective Effect of Hydrogen Water on Free Radical Injury of Athletes After High-Intensity Exercise. Biomedical Research.
6. Positive effects on redox status after 3 days of strenuous exercise, hydrogen waterShibayama et al., 2017. Hydrogen-Rich Water Modulates Redox Status Repeated Three Consecutive Days of Strenuous Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
7. Muscle fatigue, hydrogen waterAokia et al., 2012. Pilot study: Effects of Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water on Muscle Fatigue Caused by Acute Exercise in Elite Athletes. Medical Gas Research.
8. Prolonged intermittent exercise, hydrogen waterDa Ponte et al., 2017. Effects of Hydrogen Rich Water on Prolonged Intermittent Exercise. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness.
9. Exercise induced acidosis, hydrogen waterDrid et al., 2016. Is Molecular Hydrogen Beneficial to Enhance Post-Exercise Recovery in Female Athletes? Science & Sports.
10. Soft tissue injury in athletes, oral H2 consumption + topical**Ostojic et al., 2015. Effectiveness of Oral and Topical Hydrogen for Sports-Related Soft Tissue Injuries. Postgraduate Medicine.
11. Responses to exercise, hydrogen waterBotek et al., 2019. Hydrogen Rich Water Improved Ventilatory, Perceptual and Lactate Responses to Exercise. International Journal of Sports Medicine.
12. Hydrogen bathing on muscle fatigue, hydrogen water bathKawamura et al., 2016. Effects of Hydrogen Bathing on Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress and Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness. Western Pacific Region Index Medicus.
13. Koyama et al., 2008. Effect of Hydrogen Saturated Alkaline Electrolyzed Water on Urinary Oxidative Stress Markers After an Acute Exercise: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Anti-aging Med.***
14. Exercise recovery, hydrogen waterDrid et al., 2016. Molecular Hydrogen Affected Post-Exercise Recovery in Judo Athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
15. Female athletes, antioxidant capacity, hydrogen waterMinghao et al., 2017. Effects of Hydrogen-Rich Water on Antioxidant Capacity in Female Judo Athletes in Training.Chin J Sports Med. *IN CHINESE, ENGLISH ABSTRACT AVAILABLE
16. Lactic acid build up, exhaustive exercise, hydrogen waterLi Chen, 2015. Hydrogen Rich-Water on Blood Lactic Acid After Repeated Exhaustive Exercise. Journal of Taishan Medical College * IN CHINESE, ENGLISH ABSTRACT AVAILABLE
17. Case study Grade 2 ankle tear, topical hydrogen water OUR HYDROGEN TABLETSDejan Javorac, Valdemar Stajer. Case Report: Acute Hydrotherapy With Super-Saturated Hydrogen-Rich Water for Ankle Sprain in a Professional Athlete [Version 1; Peer Review: Awaiting Peer Review]
18. Exercise performance in healthy adults, hydrogen inhalationJavorac D, Stajer V, Ratgeber L, Betlehem J, Ostojic SM, 2019. Short-Term H2 Inhalation Improves Exercise Performance in Healthy Adults. Biology of Sport.
19. Acute ingestion for exercise performance, hydrogen water no resultsOoi, Ng and Omar, 2019. Acute Ingestion of Hydrogen-Rich Water Does Not Improve Incremental Treadmill Running Performance in Endurance-Trained Athletes. Applied Physiology and Research Metabolism
20. Physical activity of athletes, hydrogen waterPeng Wu, 2020. Hydrogen-Rich Water Improves the Physical Ability of Football Players and the Anti-Fatigue Ability of Rats, Revista Cientifica
21. Acute hydrogen water in endurance athletes, Hydrogen water, very small benefitReceived 09 Nov 2019, Accepted 04 Feb 2020, Published online: 17 Apr 2020
22. Topical Hydrogen water vs RICE protocol for ankle tears, hydrogen water (our hydrogen tablets) add to sports and recoverySergej M. OSTOJIC, et al., 2020. Hydrotherapy with Hydrogen-Rich Water Versus RICE Protocol for Acute Ankle Sprain in Professional Athletes. Official Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine
23. Effects Of Rich Hydrogen And Oxygen Mixed Gas Inhalation After High Intensity ExerciseShibayama et al., 2020. The Effects Of Rich Hydrogen And Oxygen Mixed Gas Inhalation After High Intensity Exercise Influence On Exercise Performance Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: July 2020 - Volume 52 - Issue 7S - p 1024-1025 doi: 10.1249/01.mss.0000686736.01790.22
Brain Recovery From Acute Injury, Neurological Conditions, and Brain Health
There are currently 13 publications exploring various neurological outcomes from hydrogen therapy in humans. Regarding hydrogen therapy and the brain, the methods are more spread out, with six of the 13 studies involving hydrogen water (although one did not find a benefit), five of the studies using hydrogen inhalation (although one did not find a benefit), and two of the studies using hydrogen-rich saline.
1. Mild cognitive impairment, hydrogen waterOhta et al., 2017. Effects of Molecular Hydrogen Assessed by an Animal Model and a Randomized Clinical Study on Mild Cognitive Impairment. Current Alzheimer Research.
2. Improving outcomes of Alzheimer’s, hydrogen inhalationOno et al., 2018. Pilot Study on Therapeutic Inhalation of Hydrogen Gas for Improving Patients With Alzheimer’s Disease Assessed by Cognitive Subscale Scores and Magnetic Resonance Diffusion Tensor Imaging. Bioaccent.
3. Acute cerebral infarction, hydrogen inhalationOno et al., 2017. Hydrogen Gas Inhalation Treatment in Acute Cerebral Infarction: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Study on Safety and Neuroprotection. Journal of Stroke & Cerebrovascular
4. Acute cerebral ischemia, hydrogen inhalationOno et al., 2012. A Basic Study on Molecular Hydrogen (H2) Inhalation in Acute Cerebral Ischemia Patients for Safety Check With Physiological Parameters and Measurement of Blood H2 Level. Medical Gas Research.
5. Acute brain stem infarct, hydrogen saline + EdaravoneOno et al., 2011. Improved Brain MRI Indices in the Acute Brain Stem Infarct Sites Treated With Hydroxyl Radical Scavengers, Edaravone and Hydrogen, as Compared to Edaravone Alone. A Non-Controlled Study. Medical Gas Research.
6. Acute cerebral infarction, hydrogen saline + EdaravoneNagatani et al., 2013. Safety of Intravenous Administration of Hydrogen-Enriched Fluid in Patients With Acute Cerebral Ischemia: Initial Clinical Studies. Medical Gas Research.
7. Newborn abnormal neurological function, hydrogen waterYang, Li and Chen, 2016. Hydrogen water reduces NSE, IL-6, and TNF-α levels in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Open Med
8. Parkinson’s, hydrogen waterYoritaka et al., 2013. Pilot Study of H₂ Therapy in Parkinson's Disease: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial. Movement Disorders.
9. Parkinson’s, no result, hydrogen water****Yoritaka et al., 2018. Randomized, Double-Blind, Multicenter Trial of Hydrogen Water for Parkinson's Disease. Movement Disorders.
10. Parkinson’s, no result, hydrogen inhalationHiriyama et al., 2018. Inhalation of Hydrogen Gas Elevates Urinary 8-hydroxy-2′-deoxyguanine in Parkinson’s Disease Hiriyama et al., Medical Gas Research.
11. Concussion recovery case study, hydrogen water (OUR HYDROGEN TABLETS)Javorac et al., 2019. Case Report: Buccal Administration of Hydrogen-Producing Blend After a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in a Professional Athlete [Version 1; Peer Review: Awaiting Peer Review]. F1000 Research.
12. Cognitive function in elderly, hydrogen inhalationKorovljev D, Trivic T, Stajer V, Drid P, Sato B, Ostojic SM. 2019. Short-Term H2 Inhalation Improves Cognitive Function in Older Women: A Pilot Study. International Journal of Gerontology.
13. Hydrogen water vs Caffeine for improving alertness after sleep deprivation, hydrogen water (our hydrogen tablets)D Zanini, et al., 2020. Hydrogen vs. Caffeine for Improved Alertness in Sleep-Deprived Humans. Springer Link
There are currently 11 publications exploring various skin-related outcomes from hydrogen therapy in humans. Five of these studies used topical hydrogen water, three used consumed hydrogen water, two used hydrogen-rich saline, and one used hydrogen inhalation. This adds to 13 methods of administration of hydrogen therapy in 11 publications, as one of the studies explored the use of inhaled hydrogen, consumed hydrogen water, and hydrogen-rich saline simultaneously
1. Psoriasis, hydrogen water bathsZhu et al., 2018. Positive Effects of Hydrogen-Water Bathing in Patients of Psoriasis and Parapsoriasis en Plaques. Scientific Reports.
2. Wrinkles reduction, hydrogen water bathsKato et al., 2012. Hydrogen-Rich Electrolyzed Warm Water Represses Wrinkle Formation Against Uva Ray Together With Type-i Collagen Production and Oxidative-Stress Diminishment in Fibroblasts and Cell-Injury Prevention in Keratinocytes. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology.
3. Red skin/inflamed diseases, hydrogen salineOno et al., 2012. Hydrogen(H2) Treatment for Acute Erythymatous Skin Diseases. A Report of 4 Patients With Safety Data and a Non-Controlled Feasibility Study With H2 Concentration Measurement on Two Volunteers. Medical Gas Research.
4. Psoriasis, skin lesions, case studies, hydrogen water+saline+gasIshibashi et al., 2015. Improvement of Psoriasis-Associated Arthritis and Skin Lesions by Treatment With Molecular Hydrogen: A Report of Three Cases. Molecular Medicine Reports.
5. Pressure ulcers, hydrogen waterLi et al., 2013. Hydrogen Water Intake Via Tube-Feeding for Patients With Pressure Ulcer and Its Reconstructive Effects on Normal Human Skin Cells in Vitro. Medical Gas Research.
6. Graft vs. host disease case study, hydrogen water (drinking)Qian & Shen, 2016. Successful Treatment With Hydrogen Rich Water in a Case of Chronic Graft-Versus-Host-Disease. Medical Gas Research.
7. UV damage in skin in vivo, topical hydrogen water******Shin et al., 2013. Atomic Hydrogen Surrounded by Water Molecules, H(H2O)m, Modulates Basal and UV-Induced Gene Expressions in Human Skin in Vivo. PLOS One.
8. Keratin plugged hair pores, hydrogen water bathsTanaka et al., 2018. Electrolytically Generated Hydrogen Warm Water Cleanses the Keratin-Plug-Clogged Hair-Pores and Promotes the Capillary Blood-streams, More Markedly Than Normal Warm Water Does. Medical Gas Research.
9. Visceral fat and skin blotches, hydrogen water bathsAsada R, et al., 2019. Effects of Hydrogen-Rich Water Bath on Visceral Fat and Skin Blotch, With Boiling-Resistant Hydrogen Bubbles. Medical Gas Research
Despite early and promising results, there are only two clinical trials exploring the benefits of hydrogen therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. In one of the studies, results were seen from high-dose hydrogen water, and in the other study, from hydrogen-rich saline.
1. Rheumatoid arthritis, hydrogen salineIshibashi et al., 2014. Therapeutic Efficacy of Infused Molecular Hydrogen in Saline on Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. International Immunopharmacology.
2. Rheumatoid arthritis, hydrogen waterIshibashi et al., 2012. Consumption of Water Containing a High Concentration of Molecular Hydrogen Reduces Oxidative Stress and Disease Activity in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Open-Label Pilot Study. Medical Gas Research.
There are currently six publications on human trials using hydrogen therapy for patients on dialysis, all of which delivered the hydrogen gas via hydrogen-rich saline.
1. Peritoneal dialysis, hydrogen rich dialysateTerawaki et al., 2013. Transperitoneal Administration of Dissolved Hydrogen for Peritoneal Dialysis Patients: A Novel Approach to Suppress Oxidative Stress in the Peritoneal Cavity. Medical Gas Research.
2. Kidney dialysis for inflammation, hydrogen salineNakayama et al., 2010. A Novel Bioactive Haemodialysis System Using Dissolved Dihydrogen (H2) Produced by Water Electrolysis: A Clinical Trial. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation.
3. Low hydrogen dialysisNakayama et al., 2009. Biological Effects of Electrolyzed Water in Hemodialysis. Nephron Clinical Practice.
4. Improvement in chronic dialysis patients, hydrogen rich dialysisNakayama et al., 2018. Novel Haemodialysis (HD) Treatment Employing Molecular Hydrogen (H2)-Enriched Dialysis Solution Improves Prognosis of Chronic Dialysis Patients: A Prospective Observational Study. Scientific Reports
5. Improvement of the fraction of human mercaptalbumin on hemodialysis treatment, hydrogen rich dialysisMaeda et al, 2016. Improvement of the Fraction of Human Mercaptalbumin on Hemodialysis Treatment Using Hydrogen-Dissolved Hemodialysis Fluid: A Prospective Observational Study. Renal Replacement Therapy.
6. Interim analysis, observational improvements over 12 months in 262 patients on dialysis, hydrogen rich dialysisNakayama et al., 2017. Possible clinical Effects of Molecular Hydrogen (H2) Delivery During Hemodialysis in Chronic Dialysis Patients: Interim Analysis in a 12 Month Observation. PLOS One
Chemo & Radiation Side Effect Reduction
There are currently two published clinical trials exploring the efficacy of hydrogen therapy for the reduction of side effects associated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Both of these trials used hydrogen water as the delivery method.
1. Reduction in side effects in radiation therapy cancer patients, hydrogen waterKang et al., 2011. Effects of Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water on the Quality of Life of Patients Treated With Radiotherapy for Liver Tumors. Medical Gas Research.
2. Improved liver function on patients on chemotherapy, hydrogen waterYang et al., 2017. Protective Effect of Hydrogen-Rich Water on Liver Function of Colorectal Cancer Patients Treated With Mfolfox6 Chemotherapy. Molecular and Clinical Onocology.
There are currently three published articles on the use of hydrogen therapy in cancer patients to address the cancer itself. All three of these trials used hydrogen inhalation as the delivery method.
1. Colorectal cancer, hydrogen gas inhalationAkagi & Baba, 2019. Hydrogen gas restores exhausted CD8+ T cells in patients with advanced colorectal cancer to improve prognosis. Oncology Reports.
2. Stage III and Stage IV cancer, cohort, hydrogen inhalationChen JB, et al., 2019. "Real World Survey" of Hydrogen-Controlled Cancer: A Follow-Up Report of 82 Advanced Cancer Patients. Medical Gas Research
3. Case study gallbladder cancer, hydrogen inhalationChen J, et al., 2019. A Gallbladder Carcinoma Patient With Pseudo-Progressive Remission After Hydrogen Inhalation. OncoTargets andTherapy. Chen J, et al., 2019. Hydrogen Gas Therapy Induced Shrinkage of Metastatic Gallbladder Cancer: A Case Report. World J Clin Cases.
There are four publications that exclusively explore hydrogen therapy for its antioxidant-like behavior in humans. All four of these trials used hydrogen water as the delivery method.
1. Serum antioxidant status in healthy men, hydrogen waterTrivic et al., 2017. Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water for 4 Weeks Positively Affects Serum Antioxidant Enzymes in Healthy Men: A Pilot Study. Current Topics in Nutraceutical Research
2. Blood alkalization, hydrogen waterTrivic et al., 2017. Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water for 4 Weeks Positively Affects Serum Antioxidant Enzymes in Healthy Men: A Pilot Study. Current Topics in Nutraceutical Research.
3. Hydrogen water
4. Antioxidant capacity, hydrogen waterHiraoka et al., 2006. Effects of Drinking a Water Product with Anti-Oxidant Activities In Vitro on the Blood Levels of Biomarker Substances for the Oxidative Stress Journal of Health Science.
There are 12 other publications on molecular hydrogen research/ trials with humans that do not fall under any of the previous umbrella categories but explore the use of hydrogen therapy for a beneficial response. Nine of these 12 trials used hydrogen water as the delivery method, although one did not find a statistically significant result but did note a potential responder group. The remaining three trials all used hydrogen inhalation.
1. Hepatitis B, hydrogen waterXia et al., 2013. Effect of Hydrogen-Rich Water on Oxidative Stress, Liver Function, and Viral Load in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis B. Clinical and Translational Science.
2. Post-cardiac arrest, hydrogen inhalationTamura et al., 2016. Feasibility and Safety of Hydrogen Gas Inhalation for Post-Cardiac Arrest Syndrome – First-in-Human Pilot Study. Circulation Journal.
3. Heart surgery, hydrogen inhalationKatsumata et al., 2017. The Effects of Hydrogen Gas Inhalation on Adverse Left Ventricular Remodeling After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for ST-Elevated Myocardial Infarction - First Pilot Study in Humans
Circ J. 2017
4. Hydrogen-rich water for improvements of mood, anxiety and autonomic nerve function in daily life, hydrogen waterMizuno et al., 2017. Hydrogen-Rich Water for Improvements of Mood, Anxiety, and Autonomic Nerve Function in Daily Life. Medical Gas Research
5. Periodontitis and antioxidant status, hydrogen waterAzuma et al., 2015. Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water Has Additive Effects on Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment of Improving Periodontitis: A Pilot Study. Antioxidants.
6. Blood alkalization, hydrogen waterOstojic et al, 2012. Serum Alkalinization and Hydrogen-Rich Water in Healthy Men. Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
7. Blood alkalization, hydrogen waterOstojic & Stojanovic, 2012. Hydrogen-Rich Water Affected Blood Alkalinity in Physically Active Men. Research in Sports Medicine.
8. Painful bladder syndrome, hydrogen water (did not work, potential small responder group)Matsumoto et al., 2013. Effect of Supplementation With Hydrogen-Rich Water in Patients With Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome. Urology
9. Fecal matter and reported sleep function, hydrogen waterInfluences Human Health, Including Gastrointestinal Symptoms. Medical Gas Research.
10. Tracheal Stenosis (cause not stated, radiation therapy?), hydrogen inhalationZhou ZQ, et al., 2019. Breathing Hydrogen-Oxygen Mixture Decreases Inspiratory Effort in Patients With Tracheal Stenosis.
11. GERD hydrogen-rich waterFranceschelli S, Gatta DMP, Pesce M, Ferrone A, Di Martino G, Di Nicola M, De Lutiis MA, Vitacolonna E, Patruno A, Grilli A, Felaco M, Speranza L.2018. Modulation of the Oxidative Plasmatic State In Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease With The Addition of Rich Water Molecular Hydrogen: A New Biological Vision. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 2018 May; 22(5):2750-2759. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.13569. Epub 2018 Mar 7. PMID: 29512923; PMCID: PMC5908129.
12. Hydrogen water reduces inflammation and apoptosis in healthy individualsSim, M., Kim, C., Shon, W. et al., 2020. Hydrogen-rich water reduces inflammatory responses and prevents apoptosis of peripheral blood cells in healthy adults: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Sci Rep 10, 12130
A Sampling of the Many Review Articles
Metabolic and Cardiac:1. LeBaron et al., 2019. A New Approach for the Prevention and Treatment of Cardiovascular Disorders. Molecular Hydrogen Significantly Reduces the Effects of Oxidative Stress. Molecules 2. Zhang et al., 2018. Hydrogen Therapy in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases: From Bench to Bedside. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry.
Alzheimer’s and Neurological Conditions:1. Tan et al., 2018. The role of Hydrogen in Alzheimer’s Disease. Medical Gas Research. 2. Ohta & Asada, 2018. Molecular Hydrogen as an Emerging Candidate for Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease. Bioaccent. 3. Dohi et al., 2017. Molecular Hydrogen in the Treatment of Acute and Chronic Neurological Conditions: Mechanisms of Protection and Routes of Administration. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition. 4. Iketani & Ohsawa et al., 2017. Molecular Hydrogen as a Neuroprotective Agent.Current Neuropharmacology.
Exercise Performance:1. LeBaron et al., 2019. Hydrogen Gas: From Clinical Medicine to an Emerging Ergogenic Molecule for Sports Athletes. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology.
Radiation Injury:1. Kura et al., 2018. Molecular Hydrogen: Potential in Mitigating Oxidative-stress-Induced Radiation Injury. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology.
Sepsis:1. Qiu et al., 2019. Recent Advances in Studies of Molecular Hydrogen Against Sepsis. International Journal of Biological Sciences.
Emergency and Critical Care:1. Sano et al., 2017. Promising Novel Therapy With Hydrogen Gas for Emergency and Critical Care Medicine. Acute Medicine & Surgery 2. Ming Yang, Zheng Zhang, Bo Gao, Lithua Liu, Taohong Hu., 2017. Hydrogen Medicine Therapy: An Effective and Promising Novel Treatment for Multiple Organ Dysfunction (MODS) Induced by Infuenza and Other Viral Infections Diseases? SOJ Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
General Reviews:1. Ichihara et al., 2015. Beneficial Biological Effects and the Underlying Mechanisms of Molecular Hydrogen - Comprehensive Review of 321 Original Articles. Medical Gas Research. 2. Dixon et al., 2013. The Evolution of Molecular Hydrogen: A Noteworthy Potential Therapy With Clinical Significance. Medical Gas Research. 3. Nicolson et al., 2016. Clinical Effects of Hydrogen Administration: From Animal and Human Diseases to Exercise Medicine. International Journal of Clinical Medicine. 4. Li et al., 2017. The Transfer of Hydrogen From Inert Gas to Therapeutic Gas. Medical Gas Research.